Ed Hartman Percussion Studio - Educational Links:
ED's BOOK AND EQUIPMENT LIST FOR LESSONS:
YAMAHA Mallet Warm-ups and FREE music!
Ed Hartman Modern Drummer 1995 Mallet Instrument article:
(page 130 of the magazine, page 132 of the pdf)
Clubs, Concerts, Music Organizations:
JAZZ CLUBS: (Some are ALL AGES)
* Jazz Alley - national touring artists. (occasional discounts for students)
Capital Cider - Mondays feature Entremundo and a great Latin Jam. You can come and listen, and/or play a bit. This group features some incredible local percussionists!
Tula's Jazz Club - excellent jazz club featuring regional and national artists.
2214 2nd Ave, Seattle
* Egan's Ballard JamHouse All ages till 11PM!! Great small club. Good food, very intimate (50 seats), good sound, variety of jazz, low cover ($5-10/night), easy parking.
* North City Bistro - Regional artists.
1520 NE 177th Shoreline, 206-365-4447 Jazz!
* Triple Door - regional and national artists.
216 Union Street, Seattle, WA 98101 Tickets 206.838.4333
Ongoing Series and Events: (check for student specials!)
· Seattle Opera:
· Seattle Symphony
* Seattle Wind Symphony
* Seattle Marimba Quartet:
· Seattle World Percussion Society (SWPS)
· PERCUSSIVE ARTS SOCIETY: (all students, pros, enthusiasts should join this org!) Great org to get magazines, newsletters, website, and a incredible convention.
PASIC (PAS International Convention: FALL, Indianapolis, IN! - If you are considering percussion for college or REALLY want to get into it, you should seriously consider going to this event. 7,000 drummers and percussionists participate at the world's largest percussion gathering. You can get in FREE by helping with the Logistics Team (help set up concerts, etc.) Other scholarships available. ($28 and up to join, the convention is around $150 for the weekend. You can help out in exchange for a pass, too!)
FB: (anyone can join this page)
* Drum Corps International. Amazing drumlines. Finals in August.
State and Local Competitions, Schools, Summer Camps, Orchestras
· State Solo and Ensemble Competition: Spring - Ellensburg, WA. This is a great way to prepare for college. You can perform on Snare Drum, Timpani, Multiple Percussion, and/or Mallets. I have music for anyone interested and we can incorporate the music in the lesson. Note: The deadline to enter can be in the FALL! Your band instructor should have information.
WMEA - Junior All-State (8th grade)
WMEA - High School
· Seattle Drum School:
Summer Camps, regular performances, etc.
12510 15th Ave NE Tel:(206)364-8815 (also in Georgetown)
Yanvalou Drum School - Afro-Caribbean Drum and Dance
· Come join the Seattle Drum Corps -- a performance group playing exciting, crowd pleasing drum salutes. Two corps, the beginner level (Grade IV) and intermediate level (Grade III)
• Cascades Drum and Bugle Corps (DCI)
· Seattle Sounders Marching Band
From the city which spawned grunge music and the sounds of Quincy Jones to Jimi Hendrix, comes the Sounders FC Sound Wave.
Alan Keown Drum Camp (2020 Virtual!)
Hand Drumming Classes and Drum Circles:
Seattle Hand Drummers: (Country Village in Bothell)
Bill Mathews Classes:
* The Urban Music Farm:
Vagaband Series - mentored 5 week band - great for recreational players! Facilitated jam sessions and related collective playing workshops that explore the styles of rock, blues, country, jazz, funk and various world music genres. for newbies and up! Including: The Beatles Retrospective and R.E.M ('81 to '91) series.
Creative Music Adventures (a few doors south of where the Drum Exchange use to be)
Great opportunity for students to gain experience in ROCK ENSEMBLES!
INFO: (206) 706-1034
· FREMONT MUSIC SCHOOL SUMMER CAMP offers kids in Jr. High and
High School a satisfying week of classes and hands on experience in a band
setting. Deadline Registration deadline & payment of complete tuition is August 12th, 2011.
What to bring Instrument(s), three ring binder with staff paper, pencil, & sack lunch.
· MOPOP: (Museum of Pop Culture - was Experience Music Project, Seattle Center)
Soundlab - Instruments to play, workshops, etc.
* Seattle Rock Orchestra (SRO) was born out of the desire to marry the unabashed performance energy of rock'n'roll with the broader palette of musical nuances treasured in classical music. SRO started modestly in 2008, performing as a 13 piece string orchestra backing a friend's folk-rock duo at a local club. As word of the ensemble and its mission spread, the size of the group and the profile of the performances matured, leading to collaborations with Jeremy Enigk, Damien Jurado, Jesse Sykes and Rosie Thomas. 2009 brought the orchestra to center stage with it's sold out re-imaging of Arcade Fire's Funeral, followed by tributes to David Bowie, the Beach Boys, Radiohead and Queen.
Here we go again. This time it's a Thursday night and they expect bigger crowds, so bring your "A" game. This has been a lot of fun, let's keep building it up with more musicians and more songs. Feel free to forward this invitation to anyone who might be interested. Just a re-cap, bring your guitar or bass and nothing else. We have all the amps, drums, mics, etc you need. If your whole band is coming, you are welcome to play 3 songs at a time and, of course, join in with other bands as needed. You can sign up online for songs that others have already selected or put some of your own down. As always, there will be opportunities to jump in and jam when an instument is missing.
So come out, have dinner, bring your friends and network with some great musicians. See you there!
· JamDawgs If you're an Intermediate to Advanced player who would like to network with other peers and get up on stage for some play-time, then come on down and JAM with the dawgs and friends at Vino Bella Wine & Espresso Bar in downtown Issaquah!
The JamDawgs provide a platform for great talent (along with a few legends here and there...) to get out and play their instruments, network with others and yes, even be discovered! Check out the How It Works section then bring your instrument, oh... and keep bringing your friends with you, as you always do! Vino Bella has a fantastic atmosphere, a great house PA system, lights, great appetizers & drinks plus a fantastic staff.
· Spotlight Studios is providing a great practice space that includes drums, PA and Mics for singers, harp and horn players. You will find some amps available, but Guitar and Bass players are encouraged to bring a small amp if they can. There is a limited amount of space so you need to sign up early to make sure you get a spot.
Blues Jam Fri 8-10pm
Blues Jam Fri 8-10 level 2.
Located in downtown Woodinville
17802 134th AVE NE, SUITE #19, Woodinville, WA 98072
* Music Lesson Directory:
* Creative Music Adventures (a few doors south of the Drum Exchange)
Ages 12-18: The Jazz Combo class offers music students the opportunity to spend a semester playing with a jazz combo. Professional jazz musicians and educators will coach the groups. Students can register individually or as a pre-formed combo. Each student will get personal attention on their instrument as well as feedback on what their role is with a jazz combo.
There will be sessions on improvisation for students interested in soloing. Rhythms section players will be able to explore voicings, bass lines and different types of time feels associated with jazz.
· Jazz Night School (S End of Seattle) - some new classes...
Latin Jazz Ensemble
Jazz Night School Gig Prep Weekly
Big Band Express with Stuart
Ear Training-Jazz Harmony
· Academy Of Music Northwest Summer Workshop
Bellevue Christian Church
10808 Southeast 28th Street, Bellevue, WA 98004
The Academy Of Music Northwest's one-week intensive Summer Workshop offers many exciting classes, designed to enhance musical knowledge and performance skills for young musicians of multiple levels, ages 6-18.
· Shoreline Community College has now added Latin Percussion to it's Instrumental program offering a 2 year degree in Music/Music Technology and a Performance certificate.
· The Seattle Women's Jazz Orchestra - currently looking for a drummer (adult, female, good reader, big band)
· Seattle Jazzed: JAZZ PROGRAM for anyone looking for jazz experience!
Conducted by nationally acclaimed jazz music educators, Robert Knatt and Clarence Acox, your music students will be in good hands while playing in one of our 3 ensembles. Every student gets placed and every student who qualifies receives financial assistance. WINTER WORKSHOPS: January through March
Combo Collective Workshop - with JazzED Director of Education & Outreach Aaron Walker-Loud and special guest teachers
SPRING WORKSHOPS: March through May
World Music Ensemble Workshop- with JazzED Director of Education & Outreach Aaron Walker-Loud and special guest teachers
Improvisation Intensive Workshop - with JazzED New Works Ensemble Director Wayne Horvitz
· Ev Stern's Jazz Workshop
Open to musicians & singers of all ages & experience.
Winter 2009 Workshop starts January 17 with an Open House Jam Session
Learn more about jazz, improve your improv, and have fun through this unique combination of Ensembles, Classes, Concerts, and Private Lessons.
· North End Jazz (Everett)
Jazz Summer Camps:
· Centrum's Port Townsend Jazz Workshop (July 2011)
Gregg Miller, Jazz Program Manager
· Music Works Northwest Summer Camp/Summer Workshops
· Eastern Washington University Jazz Dialogue Summer
Jack Straw Productions
Lots of classes, music-visual-multi-media events, etc.
4261 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle, 98105
· Seattle Audio School - recording studio classes.
General Summer Music Camps:
· Seattle Public Schools Summer Instrumental Music Program
For Grades 4-8
* Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced Band
* Beginning & Intermediate String Orchestra
* Jazz Band
West Seattle High School:
* Combined Band
* Combined Strings
* Jazz Group
* Solos, small ensembles
Concert Bands/Orchestras: (excellent for students wanting classical performing experience)
Ballard Sedentary Sousa Band
Meets: Tuesdays in Seattle
Bellevue Community Band
Brass Band Northwest
Cornucopia Concert Band
Sedentary Sousa Band
Meets: Tuesdays in Seattle
Bellevue Community Band
Brass Band Northwest
Cornucopia Concert Band
Around the Sound Community Band
* Boeing Employees' Community Band, Seattle, WA
* Greenwood Concert Band, Seattle, WA
* Rainbow City Band - If you play a band instrument, or used to play one, we encourage you to consider joining the band. We are open to musicians of all levels. Our only requirements are the ability to read music and the ability to work with others in an ensemble.
We rehearse weekly on Tuesday evenings throughout the year, with a short break in the spring and a longer break in the summer between our marching and concert band seasons. Our Purple Passion swing band rehearses separately as needed according to their performance schedule.
* West Seattle Orchestra needs percussionists! They have multi-level orchestras! Fun for all levels.
Contact: Dr. Toni Reineke 206 243-6955 firstname.lastname@example.org
or Mariane Hermanson 206 484 9110
* Seattle Festival Orchestra
* The Seattle Philharmonic is looking for volunteer percussionists to participate with the orchestra in the rehearsal and performance of Malloy Miller's Prelude for Percussion. The performance will take place at Meany Hall on January 15, 2012 at 3PM. Rehearsals are on Wednesday evenings at Roosevelt High School.
· Edmonds Community College, is adding some new notes this fall. New for fall will be: a two-year Associate of Arts with a music emphasis that will transfer to four-year Schools of Music and a community Concert Band.
The Eastside Symphony welcomes audition videos from young soloists interested in performing with the orchestra in its first concert of the new season on Oct. 20, 2012. Auditions are open to anyone under 21. Applicants should be prepared to perform a full concerto or other solo work with orchestra. Auditions should include a minimum of 6 minutes from the selected work, and must be received no later than July 1, 2012. DVDs can be mailed to the orchestra at Box 3370, Redmond, WA 98073, or links/video files can be emailed to: email@example.com
· Music at Edmonds Community College
Performance opportunities at Edmonds Community College include Concert Band, Symphonic Choir, Jazz Band, Jazz Workshop, and Soundsation, a select jazz choir. The college offers classes in music theory, digital music, audio engineering, music appreciation, and private music lessons for vocalists and instrumentalists. The college's faculty include: musician Kirk Marcy, a member of the Washington Music Educators Hall of Fame and formerly a vocalist with The Four Freshmen; musician John Sanders, whose most recent project is with the an acoustic world jazz quartet Gypsy Reeds, Strings and Skins; and composer Nick Sibicky, whose work has been featured at the National Association of Composers' annual festival.
· The Woodinville Community Band is open to musicians Jr. High age and up; everyone from beginner to professional. There is no cost or obligation to join. Due to the overwhelming success of the band over the last few years, most sections are now full. Please contact the Membership director for information on space availability. Admittance to the band will be based on review by the director and section leader. An Audition may be required.
· Everett Youth Symphony Orchestras (EYSO) All musicians up to age 21 are eligible to join the orchestra. To schedule an audition, students may either fill out an online registration form available on the EYSO web site
· Thalia Symphony is made up of talented adult amateurs and semi-professionals. Our new conductor this year is Stephen Radcliffe of the Seattle Youth Symphonies. More info about our group is available at www.thaliasymphony.org.
· Puget Sound Symphony Orchestra(community orchestra) looking for percussionists. High School or adult. Rehearsals Monday nights, Trinity Lutheran Church, 1200 10th Ave E, Seattle. Concerts at Town Hall!
· Rain City Symphony invites you to join our orchestra this fall every Wednesday to make beautiful classical music, conducted by Teresa Metzger Howe.
* Location: Wedgwood
· Pontiac Bay Orchestra: This orchestra features some of Ed's students. If you are interested in playing in the orchestra, please let me know. They are looking for players. (High School).
· Orchestra of Flight: We're currently on our summer break but will start rehearsals for our Winter concert series in September.
There are no auditions required. Musicians who perhaps have not played for some time are definitely encouraged to return to their instrument and lend their talents to the group. We strive to provide a fun, non-competitive and improvement oriented organization.
Musicians young and old are welcome with the following qualifications:
You should be able to
* Read music for your instrument,
* Play at a high school level or better,
* Be willing to commit to the rehearsal and concert schedules,
* Be able to get to and from rehearsals and concerts.
· Whidbey Island's Saratoga Chamber Orchestra
· The Bainbridge Symphony Orchestra
· The Northwest Symphony Orchestra For more information, and to arrange an audition, contact NWSO Orchestra Manager Morven Balmidiano at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Philharmonia Northwest Orchestra. For more information, call 425-868-0330 to request an audition time
These orchestras also have summer camps:
· Bellevue Youth Symphony Orchestra
· Cascade Youth Orchestras
Cascade Youth Symphony consists of five groups which have regular rehearsals, sectionals, coaching sessions, and concerts during the academic year and week-long day camps that meet in the summer. There is also an international touring orchestra that travels every three years. Edmonds, and Seattle for concerts, rehearsals, etc.
· The Mukilteo Community Chamber Orchestra is currently recruiting new musicians to join the orchestra. The orchestra meets Tuesday evenings from 7:30-9:30 p.m. at the Rosehill Community Center.
· Laughing Horse Youth Orchestra Festival
· Eastern Washington University Summer Music Academy
Music College and Career info: (Note: College recommendations are for online programs)
Music Career Outlook:
Flexible Music Programs:
Earning a Master’s in Music:
· Want to make a CD?
$15/hour recording: FakeBaby Studios is a local recording studio located in the basement of a house. We are all about recording your music at an affordable price, so you can get your sounds out there! We do all styles of music, and have good quality gear. So if you're interested, contact Ben through myspace or email!
· Rehearsal Space:
Tired of practicing in a basement? Try a professional and fun environment. You must see this place to appreciate it.Good hourly rates, Better Weekly Rates and Great Monthly rates. The more time you buy, the cheaper it gets. Call "Butch Productions Studios"
Health: (College Students Guide to Ergonomics)
Ed on Spotify:
Ed Hartman, Soundtrack: The Blind Side. Ed Hartman scores percussive, orchestral, jazz, pop, rock, Latin, world and electronic music. Ed's music has been heard on television (HBO, NBC, ABC, CBS, MTV, Discovery, Green, TLC, WE, Travel, Women, Animal Planet, MSNBC) and in feature films, shorts commercials, documentaries and even a planetarium.